Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pirate spotted on West Coast of Newfoundland

It’s Wednesday, mid way through my road trip with Chris Richardson and Ben Smith. We were bouldering at Gull Pond, just outside Stephenville, most of the day but spent the last hour huddled under one of the many large roofs waiting out the storm.
Setting under the roof it didn’t take long for the conversation to turn to climbing films and in the tradition of the good natured ribbing that has been setting the tone for this trip, Ben reminded me of a dirty little secret Chris had been hiding.


Chris had brought his laptop and a selection of DVDs for evening entertainment or in case it rained. The first night we were here I opened up the DVD wallet to see what movies we had to watch. Much to my surprise, Chris has brought a copy of Eastern Tide. As I held it in my hand we talked about making films, it’s challenges, etcetera, etcetera. It took a while but eventually it clicked in that the title on the disk had been written with a sharpy. I was holding in my hand a pirated copy of my film.
Setting under those boulders in Newfoundland Ben reminded me that it’s a rare opportunity for a film maker to come so blatantly face to face with a pirated copy of his film and the perpetrator.
Chris has a good explanation, but I’m not going to let it go that easy. Not when we have four more days left on the trip together.


No video this week but here are a few pictures fromthe trip so far.

Left to Right: Chris on Pasadena Boulders, Ben doing laps for Pull Down Productions, Todd and Chris's dinner on left and Ben Smizzel on the right... Dog food???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busted!