Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Heel Good - V7

It was during the second annual Climb Nova Scotia Boulder Fest that i filmed this clip. It was mid afternoon and i was not having much luck. There were lots of people climbing but it seemed when ever the camera was rolling the climbers were not getting the sends. I had spent most of the morning filming Amber Geerdink attempting the "Bear". She had done all the moves but just couldn't piece it together, so i moved on. I was shooting around "The Wave" when Jonathan Graham came running around the corner with a huge grin on his face. He had just done a new problem and offered to repeat it for the camera. With the help of Jonathan and my two extra camera operators (Ghislain Losier, and Chris Murphy) we were able to get some quality footage of this Dover Island classic. That moment turned everything around, it seemed that everyone was ready for the send train.

The ruminants of hurricane Noel blew through the Maritimes last fall and it would seem that "I Heel Good "would not escape it's wrath. I've been told that the under-cling at the lip that Jonathan matches on has broken a bit. How much i'm not sure. There wasn't much in the way of holds on it before so it's hard to imagine how waves could have changed it.

I'm planning a trip to Dover soon to sum up the damage for myself. I'll have the Dover Island mini-guide written by Sean Therien in hand to compare with. Until then get your psyche on Boulderfest is coming...

Bouldering Nova Scotia - I Heel Good from Todd Foster on Vimeo.
Music by: Sean Cassidy

2 comments:

Zig said...

doing the crux without the undercling just means that you have to have the knee bar well placed and solid, oops! did I give too much beta?! same grade just fewer options now.
GL

Foster's Farm said...

yeah it really is all about the knee bar and scummin with the heel. I don't even remember matching on the undercling when i did it, but i sure remember the raspberry the knee bar left. Temps also make a difference on this one.

Todd