Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Jack's Arete

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct.
I am Jack's Cold Sweat.
I am Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise.
...I am Jack's Arete.

Anyone Remember Fight Club? Jack was the name of the dude who lived in Tyler and the Narrator's house before they became squatters and formed Fight Club. This movie left it's impression on the crew of original Nova Scotia bouldering developers. Several areas and problems are named from references in the movie.

Jack's Arete is a tough V4 on the house boulder. It's a classic LOC slopey arete and a must do, but beware this little gem has sent many a hard man packing.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

JACKs Arete***, 15ft, V4 – Climbs the arĂȘte starting on shallow flakes and eventually onto a very sloppy ledge on the face near the top. Fantastic and rarely done successfully.
description from Greg Campbell's unpublished guide.




Bouldering Nova Scotia - Jack's Arete from Todd Foster on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always find myself holding my breath and hoping you get to the top when i see you climb.

xo

Anonymous said...

Jacks brutalized fingertips.

V4? for real? that is one hard sloppy arrete for sure. No I spelled it right. I noticed in the video that you are wearing tuques and the cold winds are blowing. Maybe that is the key beta I am missing. If that is the case I should get out to the LOC soon huh.

Jeremy

Foster's Farm said...

I am Jack's brutalized wrist, fingers... Strike that. I am Jacks destroyed left hand. Temps are definitely key for this one, the good sending temps are now!

Todd